Low Carbon Kāpiti is a grassroots community organisation, an advocacy group and an incorporated society (#2674431).
The purposes of the society are to:
- represent the views of Kāpiti residents who are concerned about the climate crisis (a.k.a. climate change) with an agreed set of positions on issues and actions relevant to the Kāpiti Coast District;
- lobby local politicians (including MPs) and the relevant authorities to act to address the climate crisis; give the Society’s input to their decisions and plans accordingly;
- carry out locally-focussed initiatives that reduce greenhouse gas emissions, increase community resilience and/or raise awareness of the issues and solutions;
- working in partnership with Tāngata Whenua and groups with similar purposes;
- act in accordance with the following principles and concepts:
- that a functioning and healthy environment is a prerequisite to having a functioning and healthy society and economy
- that net greenhouse gas emissions globally must be brought to zero as rapidly as possible, and no later than the middle of the century to minimise the impacts of the climate crisis. This requires an end to the subsidisation, extraction and use of fossil fuels.
- the ‘polluter pays’ principle
- intergenerational equity
- Ūkaipōtanga (people having a sense of belonging, being able to contribute and feeling valued)
- Manaakitanga (acting with care, generosity and respect towards othersand the environment)
- Kaitiakitanga (guardianship, responsibility to care for creation)
- Do anything necessary or helpful to the above purposes.
Pecuniary gain is not a purpose of the Society.
Low Carbon Kāpiti is affiliated with and endorses the ‘Our Climate Declaration’ initiative. You can learn more about it and sign the Declaration yourself at www.ourclimatedeclaration.org.nz.
The 2017-18 committee of the Low Carbon Kāpiti is:
- Jake Roos (Chair)
- Deirdre Kent (Secretary)
- Chad Wappes (Treasurer)
- Professor James Renwick
Committee meetings are held monthly and are open to registered members to attend (please RSVP if you intend to attend). Details of these events will be listed on the group’s the Facebook page.